Monday, June 16, 2008

Flood of 2008



The river is rising and unfortunatly it is damaging a lot of property and crops as it grows. Here are a few of the Mississippi levels that I found online.


River Levels as of 6-16-08


Burlington (flood stage) 15' - (Current Level) 24.20'


Ft Madison (FS) 28' - (CL) 33.82'


Keokuk (FS) 16' - (CL) 26.21'


Quincy (FS) 17' - (CL) 28.53


They keep building road to the bridge in Keokuk so that they can keep it open. Dana Tripp (one of my daycare parents) said it took 1/2 hour wait to cross the bridge, then it was scarey. She said she doesn't know how they will keep it open. It was closed Saturday night and it was supposed to close at 1:30 pm today but now it will remain open until 4pm.

Niota was issued a voluntary evacuation this morning. Niota is where we cross the Ft Madison bridge. The news this morning was not good but they are going to try to keep the bridge open as long as they can. We crossed over saturday to go to Burlington but the road on the other side was covered with water and you have to detour around the block a mile or two to get through. The Fort in Ft Madison and the park around it is all under water.

The river was suppost to crest on Wednesday but at noon the news said it wouldn't crest until Thursday. I wonder just how deep this old Mississippi can get. I am not sure I want to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The rains were coming down when I left for New York. I wanted to see what the flooding looks like and I found your web page. I was really pleasantly surprised to see the Steens in the picture. Thanks for the update.

tacy said...

Jamie!!! This is tacy...obviously. I just wanted to say hello! I'm new to the blog scene. I'm jealous of your pictures. I was alive and well for the flood of 93 and I fell like being in Idaho I'm being jipped of another cool expierence. Not Fair!

Ashley -The Cutest Blog on the Block said...

Hello Jamie!
We are happy to announce that you were among the top 5 referrers to our website thecutestblogontheblock.com! You have won our giveaway contest where we will design a hand-made blinkee to match the colors of your blog for free! Please send us an email to design@thecutestblogontheblock.com and let us know what quote or saying that you would like us to use. Also we would like to feature your blog on our site, so please let us know if it’s okay if we display your blog address as well.
Thank you, we can’t wait to hear from you! And Congrats!
Ashley and Becky - TCBOTB