Monday, February 21, 2011

Counter Finale!

We took the rest of the forms off. And started grinding the surface to reveal some of the aggregates and get rid of the sharp edges.
Wow!! What a huge cloud of dust. I think we will be cleaning up concrete dust for months.

Then we put a high gloss polyurethane down. Dont you love this high gloss plastic look???
Isn't it fantastic.
Isn't it beautiful.
Well this isn't the final finish!! :) Duh!!
We let it cure and then started sanding.
We sanded off the high gloss finish.
Then treated the whole thing with linseed oil.
Then we waxed the surface with a carnauba wax.
This is the final finish. There are lots of fun little flaws that make it look so amazing, it has kind of a rough natural edge and a few areas there the color is off and the surface dips because of the poly but and it is silky smooth to touch and it is exsactly what I wanted!!


This is my counter and I love love love it!!

6 comments:

Bump and Erin said...

Wow! That is a lot of work!! It looks amazing and I am so happy for you!

Sidney said...

GORGEOUS!!! I can see why you love it!!

Sheri Dickson Woodson said...

I like, I like!!

janice said...

nice!

Tracy Collings said...

Looks great Jamie! I can't wait til the whole kitchen is done, it will be amazing.

Mormon Fam said...

So fun! I love home improvements, especially ones we have to work for. They are so much more appreciated! Tell Marty he can come visit me anytime!!